About

History
The farmstead was built in 1870 as a model dairy farm by Henry Bingham Mildmay, who was owner of a large estate of several farms around Shoreham.

It was a period of change and invention in the agricultural world and Mildmay, like many landowners of the time, was interested in the new ways of farming.

The Quadrangle continued as a farm until 1970 when it was broken up into lots and sold. When Mark Lintell bought it in 1974 it was in a poor state of repair. He then started a long and meticulous programme of restoration.

In 1979 Mark sold half the Quadrangle and 8 acres to John Keates. John converted part of the Quadrangle into another residence and for several years ran a livery stable.

Mark and his wife Deborah Wolton continued to restore their half of the Quadrangle and began to let some of the buildings out as workshops for small businesses and local artists.

Mark’s Vision
Mark was an architect and environmental planner (Chairman of Land Use Consultants 1990 – 2006) . From the moment he saw the Quadrangle he appreciated the striking quality of its architecture and its tranquil setting in the Darent Valley. He used his skills to bring the Quadrangle back to life and to help on a variety of projects for the Shoreham community.

Mark’s long-term vision was that the quality of the Quadrangle’s building and setting should be conserved and that it would make a social and cultural contribution to Shoreham village and to the wider community. After his death in 2006 the Quadrangle Trust was set up to fulfill these aims.